Subject: Re: [xml-dev] A few questions about the file format.

(Forwarding on oasis a rather old discussion I started on xml-dev with Daniel)

> >>3.10.8/9/11  What is the difference between fo:font-family and style:font-name?
>
> The style:font-name attribute refers to a <style:font-decl>.
>
> Basically, the font-decl mechanism adds a level f indirection so you
> don't have to write the same information (font-family, font-pitch, etc.)
> over and over again. You _can_ supply that information in the style
> directly, but you can also ccollect it in the font-decl, and then refer
> to it using style:font-name.

And style:font-style-name is a similar indirection, but which points to
a character style defined by the user, right?

> >>3.10.4    What is style:use-window-font-color? I can't make sense of the description.
> When people change background colors (e.g. to highlight something, or
> for artistic reasons), they usually want their text to remain readable.
> To support this, we support an 'automatic' text color (this is what the
> UI calls it): On dark background this is white, and on a light
> background this is some default color. This is encoded by the
> style:use-window-font-color attribute. It's the OOo default behaviour
> for text color.

Seems very difficult for another application to implement this, if the choice
of the color (depending on the bg color) isn't better specified. I suggest that
the actual algorithm to determine the text color from the bg color be part
of the file format documentation...