Subject: Headings and Outline numberings

Hi all,

my action item from the last con call is to check whether regular list
styles can be combined with headings to get a solution for the use case
where the headings of an appendix should get a different numbering
format and also start counting with "1". An example for this might be a
document where the headings are counted "1", "2", etc., but the heading
in the appendix are counted "A", "B", "C", etc.

Currently, all headings within a document get ascending numbers and the
numbers are formatted as specified in the single outline numbering
style. It is neither possible to specify different number formats, nor
to restart the numbering.

However, the schema allows to specify a list styles for the heading's
paragraph style by using the "style:list-stye-name" attribute, so the
following is a valid file:

    <!-- properties -->

<text:h text:outline-level="1">My Heading</text:h>

The current specification states that the "text:list-style-name"
attribute is only evaluated for paragraphs within lists. This means it
is ignored in the above example.

By simply specifying that it is not ignored, the issue of the two number
formats within the same document can be solved.

The issue of restarting the numberings seems not to be solvable without
changing the schema. I suggest that we adopt the text:start-value and
text:restart-numbering attributes of list items (i.e. the
<text:list-item> element) here.

So what I would like to propose is:

1. We change the semantic of the <style:style> element's
"text:list-style-name" attribute, so that the attribute will be applied
additionally to headings. In this case, the heading's number is
formatted with the number format that is specified for the heading's
outline level. By default, headings continue to use the number formats
specified in the outline number style. The "text:list-style-name"
attribute has no influence on the number a heading gets. It effects the
style only.
2. We add an optional "text:start-value" attribute to the <text:h>
element for headings. It allows to specify a new start value for the
heading's outline level.
3. We add an optional "text:restart-numbering" attribute to the <text:h>
element for headings. If it's value is "true", the numbers of all
outline levels start with 1 again.

Attached is a small example for this.

Formatted document:

1 Heading
Text
2 Heading
Text
3 Heading
Text
A Appendix
Text
B Appendix
Text

XML:

<text:outline-style >
   <text:outline-level-style text:level="1" style:num-format="1" />
</text:outline-style>

<text:list-style style:name="Numbering 1" >
   <text:list-level-style-number text:level="1"
                                 style:num-format="A"/>
</text:list-level-style-number>

              style:parent-style-name="Heading 1"
              style:list-style-name="Numbering 1" >

<text:h text:style-name="Heading 1" text:level="1" >Heading</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text body" >Text</text:p>
<text:h text:style-name="Heading 1" text:level="1" >Heading</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text body" >Text</text:p>
<text:h text:style-name="Heading 1" text:level="1" >Heading</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text body" >Text</text:p>
<text:h text:style-name="P1" text:level="1"
         text:restart-numbering="true">Appendix</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text body" >Text</text:p>
<text:h text:style-name="P1" text:level="1">Appendix</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text body" >Text</text:p>