Subject: Re: [office] Chart proposal [legend-position]

Hi David,

You wrote:

>>The problem with this suggestion is that the corner case (e.g. BottomRight)
>>don't really fit in. These are arguably the least useful of the cases
>>(because they leave so little room for the chart itself);
>>

>Possibly. I guess we have them for a reason though (who knows - the user can
>put big labels in the additional room).

OK.

>>they could be accomodated by making an additional alignment values
>>

>Yes, what about two more values... Ah I see: it has to be only one, otherwise
>there are two ways to model the "bottom right corner" case.

Yes.. :-)

>>such as
>>corner-clockwise, which would place the legend into the next corner
>>(clockwise) from the main position. That is, admittedly, a bit ugly.
>>

>Maybe another attribute, a boolean named like "corner placement", which would
>only be applicable if alignment is start or end?
>Although here again we'd have two way to model each corner.
>And if we state that it's only applicable if alignment is 'end', then this is just
>like the corner-clockwise solution, with a different name and another attribute :)

Well... I sort of cheated by not defining what begin and end means. In
all other instances it is generally relative to the writing mode. If so,
then using a corner at the end-alignment doesn't work. In European-style
left-to-right, top-to-bottom writing, right/align:end and
bottom/align:end would both refer to the lower right corner, while the
upper left corner can't be reached by any 'end' alignment. The only
non-redundant way of encoding this I found is to use clockwise (or
counter-clockwise)... :-/

Sincerely,
Daniel