Subject: Chart Footers

Hi all,

we have previously discussed chart footers, and my action item was to
prepare an email voting on the issue.

The issue is that currently there is no way to specify any kind of
footer text for charts. One could abuse a title element and manually
place it at the bottom of the chart, but that would loose the
auto-placement features. Hence, the basic proposal is to add a
chart:footer element, that works exactly like the chart:title and
chart:subtitle elements, except that it is default placed at the bottom.
This was agreed upon, but no formal vote was taken.

David asked whether the (newly enhanced) placement options for legends
would also apply to footers (and titles). Currently, they don't. The
current setup is that titles are either auto-placed (at the top), or
manually. Legends have multiple 'automatic' placement options; these
could be adopted for titles/subtitles/footers as well. The names would
then have to change from chart:legend-position to chart:postion.

For the vote, I would thus suggest the following options:

1) No change from OOo base specification

2) Add a <chart:footer> element with the same semantics and attributes
as <chart:title> (and <chart:subtitle>), except that by default it is
placed at the bottom.

3) Add <chart:footer> as in 2). Also, allow the legend placement
attributes on the title, subtitle and footer elements. Since these
attributes are now general purpose placement attribtues, the word
'legend-' should be removed from the attribute name, making it
'chart:position' instead of 'chart:legend-position'.

4) I concur with the majority decision.

I think the vote itself must be setup by the TC chair.

Sincerely,
Daniel