Subject: Re: [office] Proposal: extension to animations

On Sunday 23 May 2004 22:10, David Faure wrote:
> In a presentation, effects are listed in a flat list of effects inside the animations element.
> The order of the effects comes from the order of the children in that element.
> For instance ooimpress generates:
>    <presentation:animations>
>     <presentation:show-shape draw:shape-id="1" presentation:effect="move" presentation:direction="from-top">
>     </presentation:show-shape>
>     <presentation:show-text draw:shape-id="2" presentation:effect="laser" presentation:direction="from-upper-right">
>     </presentation:show-text>
>    </presentation:animations>
>
> However this doesn't allow to have several things happening at the same
> time (like KPresenter can do, and I'm told Powerpoint too)

Here's a more complete list of requirements for the object animations.

* Several effects can happen at the same time. Modelling this with groups
of effects (new XML element), instead of draw:order, is fine with us.
Note that this has nothing to do with "grouping objects" - the objects which
have animation effects at the same time, can each have a different effect.

* The delay between an effect (or a set of simultaneous ones) and the
next one must be configurable. This is only used in "automatic" mode, where
the presentation runs on its own. In the standard presentation mode where the
user hits a key to go to the next step, this delay isn't used.
Modelling this appears to be as simple as adding an attribute in the common
effect attributes.

* Another main difference in the way animations are modelled, is that the current
specification allows to make the same object appear and disappear many times.
Is this kind of flexibility really necessary? It seems to be a side effect of
the way animations are modelled (using the separate animations element),
or do people really use this to apply many effects to the same object?
KPresenter's model is that an object has (at most) one "appear" effect and
one "disappear" effect, and the object itself defines which effects are used for
those. But I guess it's too late to change this completely.