Subject: RE: [office] Extensions and MIME types

Hi OASIS OO TC,

If possible, as part of the  August 9th agenda, could we discuss the proposed changes to file format extensions and mime types?  These proposals were somewhat put forward by Michael Brauer in his email message: [office] Extensions and MIME types.

The proposals are outlined and explained in a document Michael pointed to in his message:

<Michael> "The OpenOffice.org people created a proposal which extension they want to use in their product, so we might want to continue our discussion:

http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/fileIO/FileFormatNames.sxw </Michael>

The new extensions have caused a bit of a flurry at OpenOffice.org.  One i must respond to.
So if it's all the same to the members of the TC, i would appreciate it if we could bring this issue up for discussion.   And if there are no objections, a vote, one way or the other, would be helpful.  What i really need is a sense of where the TC members are regarding the new file extension proposal.

Oh yeah,

+1 New File Extensions and Mime Types.

Thanks, i hope the list server can handle html,
~ge~

Proposed File Type Names:
  • Open Office Text

  • Open Office Text Template

  • Open Office Spreadsheet

  • Open Office Spreadsheet Template

  • Open Office Presentation

  • Open Office Presentation Template

  • Open Office Drawing

  • Open Office Drawing Template

  • Open Office Master Document

  • Open Office Formula

Proposed File Format Extensions:

Application

Old File Names
(OOo 1.1/SO 7)

Old File Extension
File / Template

New File Names

New File Extension
File / Template

Writer

{Productname}1 Text Document

sxw

stw

Open Office Text

Open Office Text Template

oot

ott

Writer (Master)

{Productname} Master Document

sxg

---

Open Office Master Document

---

oom

---

Writer/WEB

{Productname} 6.0/7 HTML Template

stw

HTML Document Template

oth

Calc

{Productname} Spreadsheet

sxc

stc

Open Office Spreadsheet

Open Office Spreadsheet Template

oos

ots

Draw

{Productname} Drawing

sd

stc

Open Office Drawing

Open Office Drawing Template

ood

otd

Impress

{Productname} Presentation

sxi

sti

Open Office Presentation

Open Office Presentation Template

oop

otp

Math

{Productname} Formula

sxm

---

Open Office Formula

---

oof

---

Database2

Open Office Database

odb

Mime Types:

Application

Mime Type

Writer

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.text

Writer/WEB

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.text-web

Writer/Master

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.text-master

Draw

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.drawing

Impress

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.presentation

Calc

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.spreadsheet

Chart

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.chart

Math

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.formula

Base

application/x-vnd.oasis.openoffice.database