Subject: News from IDA, ISO and TC roadmap

Dear TC members,

the work of our TC has drawn the attention of IDA (Interchange of Data
between Administrations). IDA is an European program that is managed by
the European Commission:

http://europa.eu.int/ida/en/document/2387

I think that's great news for our TC!

The IDA expert group did not only take a close look at what we do, but
also has published a few recommendations for us, and for others.

One of these recommendations is to submit the OASIS Open Office format
to ISO. At first glance, this may sound like hard work and like giving
up our TC. In fact, that's not the case. What it means is that as soon
as our Open Office format becomes an OASIS standard, we would ask OASIS
itself to take it to ISO, and to run a fast-track standardization for
exactly the OASIS Open Office standard there. The work of our TC would
not be effected by this. And we would still own the right to modify it
as needed.

In fact, we would not be first TC that asks OASIS to start an ISO
standardization process. Other TC's, for instance the ebXML ones, did
this as well. Their work has become ISO 15000.

I think submitting the Open Office Format to ISO adds a huge value to
our format, especially in the public sector, so I think we should fully
support this.

However, one precondition is that our format becomes an OASIS standard.
This again reminds me that we should make our planing for the next
committee draft and the OASIS standardization itself more concrete than
it is today. That's required independent of the ISO standardization
topic, because we have to make our charter clearer regarding our
deliverables anyway.

Since our first committee draft, we fixed many errors in the
specification document and the embedded schema. Many, but not all, of
these errors were found while actually implementing the format, so I'm
very confident that our specification currently has a very high quality
and that it therefore should be possible to get a new committee draft
ready within the next weeks. I also think that we can use this next
committee draft as basis for an OASIS approval for our 1.0 standard.

What we need are the following dates:

a) A date where we stop integrating proposals and start reviewing the
specification document. I could imagine that end of September is
appropriate here.
b) A date where we stop the review and start the committee draft voting.
Since the changes we made since the last committee draft are rather
small, I could image that mid of October is appropriate here.
c) A date where we start the public review of the committee draft prior
to the OASIS standard voting. I could imagine that end of October is
appropriate.

The review takes place for a minumum of 30 days, so it would be end of
November when it is finished. The subsequent schedule depends on the
feedback we receive during the review. If we have to make substantial
changes to the specification in order to address the feedback, then
additional review cycles are required. If no additional review cycles
are required, we might be able to forward the specification to the OASIS
administration by December, the 15th. The voting for the OASIS standard
then would take place in January. If the voting is successful, the ISO
standardization could follow as the next step.

Please note that this is only a roadmap proposal for our 1.0 standard,
but that we will of course continue to work on the format as stated in
our charter. Based on the experience we collected with our first
committee draft and the prepeparation of the next one, I suggest that we
plan to deliver a committee draft every six months.

I will put a discussion regarding our roadmap on the agenda for next week.

Best regards

Michael Brauer

OASIS Open Office TC chair

--
Michael Brauer                                Phone:  +49 40 23646 500
Technical Architect Software Engineering      Fax:    +49 40 23646 550