Subject: 2.7 Styles (second paragraph following list)

Greetings,

The second paragraph following the list reads:

This type of style information differs from [CSS2] or [XSLT] style
sheets that are used to display a document. An additional style sheet
for CSS, XSLT, and so on, is required to display an Open Office document
on a certain device. This style sheet must take into account the styles
in the document as well as the requirements and capabilities of the
output device. The ideal case is that this style sheet depends on the
output device only.

Comment:

Let me walk through this one so someone may see where I have jumped the
track:

"This type of style information differs from [CSS2] or [XSLT] style
sheets that are used to display a document."

OK, that says that the information in the OpenOffice styles is different
from that of CSS2 or XSLT style sheets.

"An additional style sheet for CSS, XSLT, and so on, is required to
display an Open Office document on a certain device."

Err, I was expecting to hear about the difference mentioned in the first
sentence, but hear learn that an 'additional style sheet' is required
for CSS, XSLT?

"This style sheet must take into account the styles in the document as
well as the requirements and capabilities of the output device."

Ah, is it the intent of this paragraph to say that the style information
in Open Office styles does not include output device specific rendering
information that is required for rendering an Open Office document?

If that is the case, then I would suggest:

The style information in an Open Office document does not include output
device specific rendering information. Output device specific rendering
information must be supplied by the use of a CSS, XSLT or other style
sheet mechanisms. Any such style sheet must take into account the styles
in the document as well as the requirements and capabilities of the
output device.

BTW, note that I deleted: "The ideal case is that this style sheet
depends on the output device only." As just stated, the style sheet has
to be aware of the style information in the document and so could never
be said to depend on the output device only.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Director of Research and Development
Society of Biblical Literature
Patrick.Durusau@sbl-site.org