Subject: Re: [office] Question of writing style?

Michael,

The writer's point does not address the absence of such language from
all W3C standards (with the one exception I noted earlier).

Note that I can't search ISO standards with similar ease, but there are
0 occurrences of 'you can' in the HyTime and 3 occurrences in SGML (ISO
8879).

So, given the actual usage in WG3 (as detailed in my earlier post) and
ISO (admittely only two samples from ISO), I would say that 'you can' is
not customary usage in standards.

I don't disagree with the need to use active voice, but the question
with 'you can' is one of informality, which is generally frowned upon in
formal writing. Implied you, such as 'see section ***' is generally
acceptable.

As stated at the Purdue University Online Writing Lab,
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_actpass.html

"In sentences written in active voice, the subject performs the action
expressed in the verb; the subject acts."

Note that the active versus passive voice is not relevant to the issue
of informality.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick