Subject: W3C Compound Document WG

Hi guys,

Recently i contacted the W3C Compound Document TC, and Scott Hayman
(shayman@rim.com <mailto:shayman@rim.com>) wrote back to me requesting a
recent copy of  the OASIS Open Office file format specification to
review.  What is the OASIS policy on sharing the spec with non members?
Or members of other open standards groups we might consider coordinating
with?

Having read through some of their on line material, i'm wondering if it
would it be a good idea to coordinate with a group that could care less
about the OASIS work?  The total lack of awareness of the OASIS spec is
troublesome.  These guys were not born yesterday.  And as i page through
their on line disclosures, there is that wiff of not invented here
determination.  It also seems they blew off a letter from the OASIS DiTA
Group asking for a consideration about the use of the term "compound
document".

Basically i wanted to know what was the purpose of the Compound Document
TC, and how their specification would be different from ours.   I was
looking to see what it was that the OASIS file format lacked that they
really felt was necessary to meet their mobile device oriented
approach.  The web site describes the "Compound Document" effort as one
where basic XML specifications for XForms, XHTML, SMiL, and SVG would be
mixed and combined into one document format.

<CDF>" A Compound Document is the W3C term for a document that combines
multiple formats, such as XHTML <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/>, SVG
<http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/>, SMIL <http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/>
and XForms <http://www.w3.org/XForms/>. The W3C Compound Document
Formats (CDF) Working Group will specify the behavior of some format
combinations, addressing the needs for an extensible and inter operable
Web .</>

The membership is interesting.  It includes Microsoft, RIM, Nokia,
Adobe, SONY, SAP, Opera, and HP among others.  Definitely mobile device
oriented.

Michael, do you recall why Nokia withdrew from the OASIS TC after the
fact to face meetings?  I thought it was because they were satisfied
with the XML flat file transformations, and saw no need to
participate.   I also thought that the most important issue for Nokia
was the ability to synchronize with desktop applications through the
OASIS file format.  Oh well.

Anyway, what does the group think about sending them the specification
for review and consideration?  And is that legit?

~ge~