Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: New Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' toBCP

Hi David,

David Faure wrote:
> This might be relevant for us since we use fo:language to specify the language
> of a run of text. Not for switching to it yet, of course, better keep following XSL
> for now, but just in case any of you has input on the IETF draft.
>
> On this topic, I just noted that our fo:language is validated with [A-Za-z]{1,8}
> (languageCode definition)
> This basically means it's "an RFC3066 language code" but without country code.

Yes.

> Shouldn't we allow things like fr_CA? (or is that fr-CA ? I'm confused by the RFC
> talking about a hyphen, I thought it was an underscore).

My understanding of RFC3066 is that it uses a hyphen. The type
specifications for "language", "languageCode" and "countryCode" have
been derived directly from RFC3006 and XSL-FO.

RFC3066 specifies a language as

>The syntax of this tag in ABNF [RFC 2234] is:
>
>    Language-Tag = Primary-subtag *( "-" Subtag )
>
>    Primary-subtag = 1*8ALPHA
>
>    Subtag = 1*8(ALPHA / DIGIT)
>
>   The productions ALPHA and DIGIT are imported from RFC 2234; they
>   denote respectively the characters A to Z in upper or lower case and
>   the digits from 0 to 9.  The character "-" is HYPHEN-MINUS (ABNF:
>   %x2D).

This definition is what we use for the type "language".

In XSL, the datatype used for the language attribute is summarized as

> A language-specifier in conformance with [RFC3066].

and

> The language may be the language component of any RFC 3066 code (these
> are derived from the ISO 639 language codes).

That's from my understanding the "primary-subtag" of RFC 3006, that must
not contain a hyphen (or underscore).

However, my interpretation of XSL-FO may be wrong.