Subject: [Fwd: OASIS Open Document Database file format]

Dear TC members,

FYI: We can expect a revised database proposal within the next days.

Michael

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: OASIS Open Document Database file format
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:14:55 +0200
From: Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany <Frank.Schoenheit@Sun.COM>
To: Michael Brauer <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM>

Hi Michael,

after feedback from Jarosław Staniek, the main developer of Kexi,
KOffice's database application, I decided to partially rework the file
format proposal. (Note: You can find Jarosław's feedback collected at [1].)

The main items we want to address in the next iteration:

- Split up connection data into connection settings, driver settings,
  and application settings. A lot of concerns raised in [1] seem to be
  caused by a mix of different-level settings in one place, without
  clearly indicating the different origins.

- Use a more description connection resource description than a pure URI
  Since there's no standardized URI scheme for describing connection
  resources, pure URIs would always be heavily application dependent,
  and thus might render the intention of file format interoperability
  kind of useless.
  So, we will allow to split connection information into more basic
  chunks, were appropriate, and use URIs only as feedback where those
  chunks are not sufficient to completely describe a database
  connection.

Regards
Frank

[1]http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?OpenDocumentForDatabases