Subject: Re: [office] metadata and XMP (was: [office] metadata (OpenDocument TC Meeting Minutes ...))

On Jan 12, 2006, at 5:36 AM, Lars Oppermann wrote:

> I am also not saying, that XMP should be the framework. However, I
> belive, that the default metadata model can be mapped to an RDF model
> that is consistent with the subset of RDF that can be modeled by XMP.

OK, sounds good.

[...]

> One of the things that I like about XMP is, that it is out there and
> actually being used.

Sure, and I wouldn't discount that.

OTOH, most of the RDF experts I've been talking to are also
implementing real world projects and standards based on RDF. Leigh
Dodds, for example, was involved in the development of RSS/RDF and is
now overseeing Ingenta's move to a 200 million triple RDF backend, the
SIMILE project at MIT is behind the PiggyBank Firefox extension, the
Nature Publishing Group has been heavily exploiting RSS/RDF to
distribute metadata, etc.

Granted, they are mostly coming from an internet-based perspective, and
Adobe (and perhaps most of the TC) from a traditional application
perspective, but I think there is some common ground between them.

> So as I stated above: while I don't think that XMP as it is today
> should be the normative framework for OpenDocument metadata, I would
> very much like to see the XMP framework to be able to use as much of
> the metadata in an OpenDocument file as possible.

Sure.

> E.g. if a document management system has build in support for XMP, you
> can use the XMP data in your PDF documents stored in that system. If
> the XMP framework was able to use the metadata (at least the part that
> is attached to the whole document) in an OpenDocument file, you could
> use OpenDocument as a storage format in the system just like you would
> do with PDF.

I'm glad you brought up this example.

How many XMP-based document management systems are there really, and
how widely are they deployed?  I've personally never heard of one,
though don't doubt they exist.

I'm interested in promoting server-based solutions around this issue,
and as I look around at the current software and standards landscape, I
see an explosion of applications based on agile development frameworks
tied to relational databases (LAMP, Ruby on Rails, etc.), and wide
deployment of syndication standards like RSS and (now) Atom.

XMP, by contrast, is a closed standard that is -- beyond Adobe -- not
widely deployed.  I note, for example, that Flickr offers RSS and Atom
feeds, but not XMP export. Apple's new professional photo application
Aperture has rich metadata support, but does not support XMP (I think
they should, but that's another matter).

All of this is to say that this space is still unsettled, and that
there are other legacy and interoperability issues to account for
beyond XMP (including ODF's existing metadata support).

Let me outline briefly the limitations of XMP as they apply to
OpenDocument:

1. It does not support the RDF class system (e.g. rdf:type or typing
nodes), so that while you can say that a given item has a title, you
cannot say what that item is (a book, document, spreadsheet, figure,
etc.). That seems a problem in a context like OpenDocument.

2. It does not support the RDF linking system. To me this is probably
the most important limitation, because they've basically thrown own the
relational part of the RDF model.

3. It does not support XML content in literals (easily done with RDF by
adding a rdf:parseType="Literal" attribute on a property), except
through the highly problematic practice of using escaped content.

4. XMP insists on repeated properties being wrapped in outdated
structures like rdf:Alt and rdf:Bag. I understand this provides some
convenience from a GUI perspective, but it also introduces problems in
other areas.

5. Following from 4, XMP abuses core Dublin Core properties like
dc:creator (which is defined as a literal that represents the name of
the agent who created a resource) or dc:subject by *always* embedding
an rdf collection element within. Bob DuCharme noted this problem here:

<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/09/22/xmp.html>

There is also a fairly new structure in RDF --
rdf:parseType="Collection" -- that could be useful, but which XMP does
not support.

> A user could then use OpenDocument for files that are in the
> edit-cycle and use PDF for published documents. Plus, the metadata of
> an OpenDocument file wo0uld also be usable in its PDF version.

As I said before, I think interoperability (if not full compliance)
with XMP is highly desirable, and I really wish that Adobe would
consider revising XMP, and perhaps opening up its development. The
impression I got from Alan's post, however, is they are not interested
in doing that. That doesn't fill me with much confidence.

Like I said, this is a complicated issue, which is why I wonder if it
wouldn't be better to tackle these details last?

For the bibliographic project, we really need standardized metadata
support below the document level. Would be nice if we could agree on
that now.

Bruce