Subject: Re: [office] Proposed change to Monday's agenda (IRI's versus URI's)

Hi all,

first of all: I will cancel today's agenda in favour of adressing the two
issues below.

Regarding CSS3: We are referencing the CSS3 Text Module, but only as
documentation. Which means, OpenDocument specifies some attributes, and
references the CSS3 Text Module to provide a description of the semantics of
the attributes.

The state of this specification is a "candidate recommendation". If this is
an issue, we may of course include our own description of the attributes in
the specification. However, since we are specifying our own attributes, we
should be independent of the state of CSS3 text module. If it changes or is
withdrawn, our own specification should remain valid.

What is in fact an error is that the URL of the CSS3 Text Module is missing
in the bibliography.

Regarding DOM level 3 events: We are referencing the DOM 3 specification in
section 12.4.1:

"For events that are specified in the DOM event model, it is recommended to
use the event names described in §1.4.2 of [DOMEvents]. The corresponding
namespace is "http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events";.

We also have a list of events in section 11.6.1, but without a reference to
DOMEvents. This list contains also short description of the events.

The DOM level 3 specification is a working draft. Since the list of events
contains a description, I'm not sure if this is an issue.

Regarding IRI: OpenDocument uses the XSD "anyURI" datatype for URIs, in most
situations as value of an xlink:href attribute.

While the definition of this datatype in the W3C Schema Datatype
specification mentions only URIs, the document

http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-and-ident.html

as well as RFC2987 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt) in section 1.2 state
that

"IRIs and IRI references can be in attributes and elements of type "anyURI""

So, I'm not sure whether the issue that Japanese Standards Body sees is the
usage of the "anyURI" type for attributes that may contain URI or IRIs, or
whether the issue is that the OpenDocument specification does not mention
that IRIs are allowed where "anyURI" is used as datatype.

In the first case, we may of course provide our own type definition for
"anyURI", which explicity permits IRIs. In the later case, we may clarify
that OpenDocument does not restrict the "anyURI" type to URI (or URLs) even
if use these terms, or we may explicitly mention IRIs.

In any case, it is not the intention of the OpenDocument specification to
specify restrictions regarding the protocols that can be used with URIs, nor
is it the intention of the OpenDocument specification to require that
conforming application support certain protocols. This applies to IRIs (that
are themselves a protocol), but also to other protocols.