Subject: [office] Meta Data Requirments Sub Committee

Dear TC members,

please find below a revised draft charter for the metadata sub committee.

I've changed the following:
- "meta data" is now spelled "metadata"
- The "scope of work" paragraph now states "The use case and requirement
documents shall be approved by the TC before the SC proceeds with the next
specification stages."
- The last sentence of "scope of work" does not refer to office applications
for editing and longer. It now reads:"The proposed enhancements further must
not conflict with the processing model of OpenDocument documents for office
applications.".

Two other concerns that were mentioned but that I did not include into this
version of the charter are:

1. To combine the use cases and the requirements into one document: The
separation of the use cases and the requirements allows the TC to sort out
certain use cases before the SC spends time on gathering the requirments for
these use cases. For this reason, I have left them separate for now, but we
of course may combine them if we think this is more apropriate.
2. To replace "metadata ontology" with "metadata vocabulary": In my opinion,
the term "metadata vocabulary" could be misunderstood as "(generic) XML
vocabulary for meta data", that is, something like RDF-XML.  This seems not
to be the case for the term "metadata ontology".

Michael

OpenDocument Metadata Sub Committee (MDSC) Draft Charter

Statement of purpose
--------------------
1. To gather use cases for the application of metadata in OpenDocument
documents and OpenDocument aware applications.
2. To classify the use cases.
3. To derive metadata related requirements for future versions of
OpenDocument from the use case classes.
4. To propose metadata related enhancements for OpenDocument for
consideration by the Opendocument TC which address these requirements.

Deliverables
------------
1. A list of metadata use cases for OpenDocument documents and OpenDocument
enabled applications, together with a classification of the use cases.
2. A list of metadata related requirements for future versions of
OpenDocument, which will be prioritized by the OpenDocument TC.
3. Proposals for OpenDocument enhancements which address the requirements
identified in deliverable 2.

Scope of work
-------------
The subcommittee's work is to collect use cases where metadata is passed or
stored along with OpenDocument documents, to classify them as described
above, and to derive a set of requirements for future versions of
OpenDocument from these classes. The subcommittee's work further is to
prepare proposal for OpenDocument enhancements which address these
requirements. The use case and requirement documents shall be approved by the
TC before the SC proceeds with the next specification stages.

The proposed enhancements must provide general solutions for the application
of metadata in OpenDocument documents and OpenDocument aware applications in
general. That is, they have to be neutral to specific metadata ontologies.
The proposed enhancements further must not conflict with the processing model
of OpenDocument documents for office applications.

Manner and schedule of work