Subject: Re: [office] style name uniqueness

David Faure wrote:
> OK, so the spec is not unclear, but it's still
> cumbersome to implement IMHO.

Requiring style name uniqueness accross style families might cause
another set of complications. In applications that let the user create
custom styles (like OOo) a user might legitimately need to create two
styles in different families with the same name.

Suppose you're writing a school textbook. The textbook has "warnings",
"tips" and "notes". You want these items in boxes (ie. frames) that look
distinct. As an author, it would make sense to define Frame styles
called Warning, Tip and Note and paragraph styles called Warning, Tip
and Note. The Warning paragraph style is meant to be used in the Warning
frame style.

I know of at one team of authors who is doing this very thing right now.

There are ways you could get around this, but I suspect that they are
just as much work as what we currently have.

Best,
Daniel.
--
      /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org