Subject: Re: [office] Formula subcommittee status

Another twist.  Do we want function names to allow optional namespace prefixes?

I'm thinking that an open spreadsheet platform will encourage the production of open libraries of extension spreadsheet functions, for specialized activities like securities analysis, process control, optical engineering, whatever.  When this happens we'll need to worry about collisions in function names.  Certainly no extension should use a name of a ODF-defined function.  But how do we prevent two custom libraries from using the same name?  One solution is to allow the function name itself to namespaced.

I think XPath originated this idea as well.

-Rob