Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

David Faure wrote:

> Subject: ODF spec question
> Date: Sunday 06 August 2006 00:04
> From: Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org>
> To: David Faure <faure@kde.org>
>
> I would like someone that is closer to the TC to give a "yes"/"no" on an
> issue I found in the testsuite.
>
> In 5.1.1 (page 84) it specifies that extra white space characters are
> ignored.
> I read this to be about
> - more then one literal consecutive whitespace
> - any literal whitespace following a text:c or text:tab element.
>
> OOo adds a case that I don't agree with:
> - any whitespace after an opening text:p tag.
>
> So  <text:p>         foo</text:p>
> will have only one word and zero spaces in Writer.
> I expect it to have 1 space and one word.
>
> Can you tell me what the correct interpretation is?

The correct interpretation is to ignore white space characters at the
beginning of the paragraph, as OOo does. The explanation for this is in
section 5.1.1, first paragraph

"If the paragraph element or any of its child elements contains white-space
characters, they are collapsed, in other words they are processed in the same
way that [HTML4] processes them."

HTML ignores white space characters behind the start element tag, so
OpenDocument does the same.