Subject: Re: [office] white-space processing proposal

On 18/09/06, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg

> "If the paragraph element or any of its child elements contains white-space
> characters, they are collapsed. Leading white-space characters at the
> pragraph start as well as trailing white-space characters at the paragraph
> end are ignored. The following [UNICODE] characters are normalized to a SPACE
> character:"

1. Under what conditions does this happen, is it only when a document
is displayed?
2. Is this visual presentation only?
3. Is this whitespace processing permanent, i.e. is the source file modified?
(If so, can we state that ODF is an xml application?   see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec-white-space )
4. Definition of collapse please?
Could use http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#AVNormalize if that is what is meant,
or do you mean removed?
5. Definition of normalize (suggest http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#AVNormalize )

> These white-space processing rules shall enable authors to use white-space
> characters to improve the readability of the XML source of an OpenDocument
> document in the same way as they can use them in [HTML4]."

Is the reference to  the HTML specs necessary/helpful?
Is there any conflict with the HTML4 that could cause a dispute?

Why is this only applicable to a paragraph element, and not to list content,
table cells etc? I.e. all CDATA content.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.