Subject: OpenDocument v1.1/v1.2 compatibility

Dear TC members,

in the last work call I have been asked to clarify my proposal regarding
the compatibility between OpenDocument 1.1 and 1.2. The general
intention is that we keep the impact of a transition from OpenDocument
1.1 to 1.2 for implementors and users as small as possible, while we at
the same time restrict the set of enhancements we make from 1.1 to 1.2
also as little as possible.

Based on the existing OpenDocument conformance definition, I propose
that we use the following formal rules regarding the compatibility
between OpenDocument v1.0 and v1.1:

Documents that conform to the the OpenDocument v1.1 specification shall
also conform to the OpenDocument v1.2 specification. Vice versa,
documents that conform to the OpenDocument v1.2 specification shall also
conform to the OpenDocument v1.1 specification, if they don't use any of
the OpenDocument v1.2 features that are not contained in OpenDocument v1.1.

Exceptions from this general rules are possible, if, and only if, this
is considered to be of great advantage for users of the OpenDocument
specification, and conforming implementations.

Based on OpenDocument implementations, I propose the following:

OpenDocument v1.2 implementations shall be able to process OpenDocument
v1.1 documents without requiring additional implementations for that
purpose. Vice versa, OpenDocument v1.1 implementations shall be able to
process OpenDocument v1.2 documents without requiring additional
implementations for that purpose, if the documents contains none of the
OpenDocument v1.2 features that are not contained in OpenDocument v1.1.

Exceptions from this general rules are possible, if, and only if, this
is considered to be of great advantage for users of the OpenDocument
specification, and conforming implementations.

 From the proposals we have for OpenDocument v1.2 right now, I believe
that the formulas are a feature that requires and justifies an
exception. For other proposal I think we should tend to except them if
they do not require an exception from the above general rules, and we
should carefully weight the pros and cons for those that require an
exception.