Subject: Re: [office] Version Attribute Proposal

On 27/11/06, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
<Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:

> Well, an ODF 1.2 document always must have a "1.2" version attribute,
> this is only not enforced in the schema. But I think you convinced me
> that it is reasonable to make the attribute mandatory.
>
> If we do so. What should be the values that the attribute may have. Only
> "1.2"?
>
> Or should we also support "1.0" and "1.1" until we know that a 1.0/1.1
> document is a valid 1.2 instance? Right now, this is the case.

Step back a little perhaps.
I don't think we can (or should) predict that version X could or should
be a valid version Y instance? We can't see into the future and requiring
backwards compatibility will hold back ODF IMHO.

Perhaps the question should be, what do we expect a processor to do
when it meets a verison
a) Earlier
b) Later
than the one it expects.