Subject: my comments on the numbering spec proposal discussed by David F. andFlorian R.

Hi,

I'm Oliver. I'm a software engineer, who is working at Sun in the
OpenOffice.org Writer team. I joined this TC to give my support in the
discussion of some text document related proposals.

And here is my first input - some thoughts about the numbering spec
proposal discussed recently by David F. and Florian R.:

I think both proposals will achieve the described purpose - namely
creating one list with the following layout:
1. 	A
	1.1 	B
	1.2 	C
	1.c 	D
	1.d 	E

The two proposals are using from my point of view different approaches:

- David's approach:
The text:list-id approach achieves its goal by putting numbered
paragraphs respectively list items of different lists into *one* list.
Looking at the above given example: paragraphs A, B and C initially
belong to list L1 and paragraphs D and E initially belong to list L2.
Then the text:list-id attribute is applied to all these paragraphs
with value L1.

The proposed attribute text:list-id at a numbered paragraph or
list-item causes a change of the semantic of its attribute
text:style-name:
-- If text:list-id isn't present, text:style-name denotes the list
style the numbered paragraph respectively list item belongs to.
-- If text:list-id is present, text-style-name no longer denotes the
list style the numbered paragraph respectively list item belongs to.
It only denotes the attributes of the format of the list label.
text:list-id denotes the list style the numbered paragraph
respectively list item belongs to.

- Florian's approach
The text:style-override approach achieves its goal by applying an
additional attribute to a part of the numbered paragraphs respectively
list items of one list.
Looking at the above given example: all paragraphs A, B, C, D and E
initial belong to list L1. Then the text:style-override attribute with
value L2 is applied to paragraphs D and E. All paragraph still belong
to list L1, but for some of them a different list style is used to
format the list label.

The proposed attribute text:style-override at a numbered paragraph or
list item is an additional and optional attribute. It denotes the
attributes of the format of the list label of this numbered paragraph
respectively list item.

The text:style-override approach seems to more natural to me. I've got
some numbered paragraphs in a certain list and wants to apply another
label format to a part of these paragraphs.
The text:style-override approach is on my opinion more compatible to
ODF 1.0 resp. 1.1. Applications, which support ODF 1.0 resp. 1.1
couldn't interpret attribute text:style-override, but the numbered
paragraphs resp. list item will belong to *one* list. This will not be
the case for the text:list-id approach.
The text:list-id approach also allows to break the structural
information given by using text:list and text:list-item to defined a
certain list. Let me explain:
Think of the following list.
<text:list text:style-name="L1">
   <text:list-item>
     <text:p>Main Chapter</text:p>
   </text:list-item>
   <text:list>
     <text:list-item*>
       <text:p>Foo</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
     <text:list-item*>
       <text:p>Bar</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>Some kind of annex in this chapter</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
     <text:list-item>
       <text:p>Another annex</text:p>
     </text:list-item>
   </text:list>
</text:list>
All list items are sub-elements of the first text:list, which have
list L1 applied. This is the structural information I meant above -
the list items belong to L1. If now one of the list items gets an
text:list-id attribute with value L2, the structural information, that
this list item belongs to L1 isn't valid any more. That's what I meant
by that the structural information can be broken by attribute text:list-id

Thus, I support the text:style-override approach.

Regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org
20097 Hamburg
Germany
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com