Subject: [Fwd: Open Document Format (ODF) Accessibility Testing Tool]

Greetings,

I've just been informed (see attachment) that a group of students at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have developed an ODF
Accessibility Evaluation tool.  Dr. Jon Gunderson (who probably led this
student effort) is one of the key players in Web accessibility, and
brought me the news.  See http://odf.cita.uiuc.edu/

You can also read my write-up of this at
http://blogs.sun.com/korn/date/20061208

Looks like we now have a tool we should be using for our own ODF files.
The current draft of the ODF Accessibility Guidelines has a number of
failures... (I'll be tending to those in the next revision).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
--- Begin Message ---
Joe, Peter and Rich,

A team of students at the University of Illinois has developed a tool to test Open Document Format (ODF) documents for accessibility features.

We would love your feedback on the tool and please feel free to share this url with other people who would be interested in this tool.

http://odf.cita.uiuc.edu

There is a comment form on the web resource to give students feedback on the current rules, user interface design and to give them ideas for additional rules.

There next step is to add a feature to help people add accessibility information to their ODF files.

Jon

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D.
Director of IT Accessibility Services
and
Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES)

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248
Cell: (217) 714-6313

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu