Subject: Re: [office-metadata] On the usage of xml:id and about

Elias,

thanks for this example and the clarifications.

Elias Torres wrote:
> Since there's a lot of confusion on xml:id and about, I'll try to explain
> more what they are and how they are used in RDF/RDFa.
>
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote on 12/18/2006 08:13:27 PM:
>
> [snip]

[snip]

> Now for a more complex example:
>
> Inside cameras.html
>
> <ul>
>   <li id="nikon_d200" about="#nikon_d200">
>       Nikon D200
>     purchased on
>       2004-06-01
>   </li>
>
>   <li id="canon_sd550" about="#canon_sd550">
>       Canon Powershot SD550
>     purchased on
>       2005-08-01
>   </li>
> </ul>

In this example, how do you handle the situation that the date should not be displayed
as an XSD date datatype, but a localized date? Displaying date values and other "typed"
values in a localized format rather than an XSD datatype is an essential feature of ODF.
The existing fields for the document's meta data (creation date etc., see section 6.4.2)
have this feature. They way it is handled there is that the meta data is separate from the
content (and typed), and that there are ODF elements that display that meta data and
provided the localization features. In some other situations the typed value is in an
attribute. In any case, there currently is a rule that the text content of a paragraph and
its content represent what is displayed to the user.

Which means: I don't have an opinion whether we need typed meta data for ODF, but if we
need it and if we want to display that meta data within a document, then we need the
localization features.