Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Multiple content nodes representing on RDFsubject

Hi Bruce,

the intention behind Svante's example was to show that there is no
one-to-one relation between XML elements and RDF subjects. An RDF
subject actually may be composed of several XML elements. This is at
least the case if the subject is a text fragment. That's the reason why
Svante proposed to add something like a <content> element that combines
the individual <text:span> elements into a single RDF subject.

I agree that in his example it would be valid to interpret the three
<text:span> elements as individual subjects, but I don't think this is
valid in all cases. If the meta data is for instance a description of
some text (for instance for accessibility purposes), then you must not
break the text into pieces, because this changes the meaning. Other
cases are annotations that may be added to arbitrary text the user
selects, and which may include paragraph breaks. And I'm sure there are
other use cases where an RDF subject must consists of several XML
elements. Please let me know if you would like to have more detailed
examples for this, and I will provide them next year.

I think we have to consider this, regardless whether the preferred
solution is RDF/A or RDF/XML files in a package.

Earlier in this thread you wrote

 > Note that there's no way to derive this statement from what you
 > presented above. All you are doing above in the XML is identifying the
 > node (as a *possible* subject).

I personally think to have the possibility to add IDs (or similar
attributes) to identify *possible* subjects is important, because this
allows to add meta data to a document without touching the content.xml
stream. That's why I personally think that we must have the possibility
to assign meta data to subjects in the content.xml by IDs. Please note
that this does not mean that we may not have something like RDF/A's
inline attributes in addition, if we find use cases where they are
advantageous or required (that's something we should discuss
separately), but only that I think that RDF/A's inline attributes are
not sufficient. If I did understand Elias correctly, then RDF/A includes
the possibility to assign meta data using IDs.

Best wishes for 2007!

Michael