Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] [issue] split object literals

On Jan 10, 2007, at 3:39 AM, Michael Brauer wrote:

>> David Faure was proposing an ID (IIRC list:id) that could be used on
>> multiple list nodes (so xml:id would not work), to denote that they
>> are in fact part of the same conceptual structure.
>> At the time I had mentioned that our work might overlap/conflict, but
>> I wasn't quite sure. Exactly how we address the possible overlap here
>> isn't that critical to me; but we do need to keep it in mind. Perhaps
>> Michael has some thoughts?
>
> Well, I'm not sure whether there is an overlap. In one case, we want
> to define which counter and style is used by lists or numbered
> paragraphs. In the other case, we are looking for some markup that
> combines text spans to a single object. My understanding is that we
> are very close to having a solution for the list issue. I therefore
> propose to keep this two issues separate.

That's fine, but I think we need to be very careful to keep these
different issues in view. While you engineers may be thinking of the
presentation of linked lists, the whole reason why users wish to do
this is because they want to describe common semantics. So this is not
totally unconnected. Likewise with previous discussions of
accessibility and captions.

Bruce