Subject: Re: [office] data templating (and citations)

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As many of you know, I've been trying to upgrade the ODF support for
> citations. There are three aspects of this: the citation field, the
> bibliographic metadata, and the configuration of the output formatting.
>
> I'd like to address the last here. Currently, a bibliographic entry is
> configured like this in ODF:
>
>     <text:bibliography-entry-template
> text:bibliography-type="conference" text:style-name="Bibliography 1">
>      <text:index-entry-bibliography
> text:bibliography-data-field="identifier"/>
>      <text:index-entry-span>: </text:index-entry-span>
>      <text:index-entry-bibliography text:bibliography-data-field="author"/>
>      <text:index-entry-span>, </text:index-entry-span>
>      <text:index-entry-bibliography text:bibliography-data-field="title"/>
>      <text:index-entry-span>, </text:index-entry-span>
>      <text:index-entry-bibliography text:bibliography-data-field="year"/>
>     </text:bibliography-entry-template>
>
> There are a few problems with this approach, and they mostly center on
> the fact that it presumes the data will be there, and there is no
> conditional logic. If there is no title, for example, there will be a
> spurious comma. Likewise, if the entries get sorted by author-date and
> there is no author, stuff breaks (the entry is sorted incorrectly, and
> the citation will be wrong). Finally, the system was never designed to
> consider note-based or author-date style citations, which are really
> common across the social sciences and humanities.
>
> To get around these limitations, I created a new citation style language
> (CSL), which is independent of any particular document format. It's now
> starting to be picked up by other projects, and is even used with an MS
> Word plug-in now.
>
> Here's an example of a CSL file:
>
> <http://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xbiblio/csl/styles/apa.csl?view=markup>
>

> It's quite a bit more complex than what is in ODF, but about as simple
> as it can be to still support these styles.
>
> So my question is, how shall we deal with this issue?
>
> I see two options:
>
> 1)  use CSL for configuration (either blessed by the ODF TC, or not)

Is there a specification for CSL? How stable is it? And is it going to
be standardized?

> 2)  adapt the logic of CSL to the existing ODF templating and
> bibliography configuration system

There is another option, I think: to add those features to the existing
bibliographic entries that are essential and are missing.

> The thing is, templating of this sort will likely be generally useful
> for the custom metadata stuff we're working on. But simple data fields
> are often a little too simple.
>
> Any opinions?

Not now. I need to know a little bit more about the status of CSL first.

> Bruce

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS