Subject: OpenDocument lists - my view included are some proposals

Dear TC members,

in the following I want to describe my view of list styles and lists in
OpenDocument text documents including the proposal about style-override
and list-id. Additional, I will propose some enhancements/clarifications
of the ODF specification for version 1.2.
My view is strongly influenced by OpenOffice.org, but partly differs
from OpenOffice.org Writer implementation. It's also influenced by the
recent discussions with the ODF TC members:

List styles:
List styles contain definitions for certain list levels. The list level
definitions don't have to be complete. E.g., a certain list style can
contain the list level definitions for list level 2 and 3.
Thus, it can happen, that such a list style is applied to a certain list
item and a missing list level definition is needed to build the contents
of the list label. E.g., a list style only containing list level
definition for list level 2 is applied on a list item on list level 2.
But, it's specified, that the list label should contain the number of
superior list level 1. Thus, list level definition for list level 1 is
needed to determine the number format.
Problem in such a case is, how to determine a certain list level
definition for list level 1. I propose the following solution as a
proposal to the ODF specification 1.2:
- Use the list level definition for list level 1, which is applied the
superior list item on list level 1. If no superior list item on list
level 1 exists, use a default list style. This is the same default list
style, which is mentioned in chapter 4.3.1 of ODF specification 1.1
about list blocks. The same should be applied to numbered paragraphs of
a certain list.

ODF lists defined by using list blocks - <text:list> elements:
- Each top-most list block denotes a certain list and defines the
counter domain for its including list items and sub lists. The list
style, which will be applied to this list, can define start values for
each list level.
- Each list block restarts the counter of the list level, the list
block belongs to.
- Each list block can have its own list style and the complete list
level definitions of this list style are applied to its list items.
E.g., a list block on list level 3 defines an own list style containing
list level definitions for list level 2 and 3. Thus, these list level
definitions are used, if needed, to build the list label of its list
items and to layout its list items.
- Each list item can restart the counter of its list level with a
certain value.
- Each list item can override the defined list style of its list block
by the new text:style-override attribute. The complete list level
definitions of the overriding list style is used to override the
definitions of the overriden list style. If the overriding list style
only contains the definition for one list level, only the list level
definition of this list level is overriden. Thus, the list style, which
is applied to the list item is a somehow a list style, which is formed
by taking the list style of the list block overriden by the attributes
and elements of the list style given in the text:style-override attribute.
- A list block can also continue the numbering of its preceding list
block without restart by using attribute text:continue-numbering - see
chapter 4.3.1 of ODF specification 1.1 about list blocks. For sub lists
everything is clear. But for top-most list blocks I want to extend the
ODF specification: The current specification states, that the numbering
is only continued, if the preceding list has the same list style. I want
to apply this statement not only to the direct preceding list, but any
preceding list. Thus, if text:continue-numbering is true, the numbering
of a preceding list, which has the same list style applied, is continued.
Use case: Think of a list with 3 list items, each list item containing a
couple of paragraphs. In the paragraphs of the second list item you now
insert a small enumeration using a bullet list. Now, your list is broken
into two parts by the bullet list. To "join" these parts together to one
list, you can now use the text:continue-numbering attribute.

ODF lists defined by using the numbered paragraph construct -
<text:numbered-paragraph> element - this view is mainly influenced by
the discussion in the ODF TC and with the ODF TC members:
- The ODF specification 1.1 doesn't specify, how numbered paragraphs
form a certain list and thus, how a counter domain is formed for
numbered paragraphs. I propose to use the proposed attribute
style:list-id and make it mandatory for numbered paragraphs in ODF
specification 1.2. Thus, all numbered paragraph with the same list-id
form a list and each list-id defines one counter domain. For text
documents in previous ODF versions, it's left to the application how to
group numbered paragraph together to form a certain list.
- If a numbered paragraph doesn't specify a list style, I propose to use
the list style, which is applied to the numbered paragraph on the
superior list level of the same list. If no such numbered paragraph
exists, a default list style is applied.
- For the start values of the counter domain defined by a list-id I
propose to use the start values of the list style of the first numbered
paragraph of the list.

Regards, Oliver.