Subject: [Fwd: [office-comment] proposal: enhance chapter information forindexes]

Hi,

please find below a proposal that we received as a comment.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:01:11 +0100
From: Giuseppe Castagno <giuseppe.castagno@acca-esse.eu>
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi all,

I occasionally contribute code to OpenOffice.org as an individual.

While I was looking for an enhancement request to indexing stuff in
OpenOffice.org, I realized that the chapter information on indexes
should be improved in order to make that request persistent in ODF
documents.

So, I propose to enhance the chapter information for indexes
<text:index-entry-chapter> by the attributes and attributes values,
which are already supported by the chapter field <text:chapter>.

New values for attribute text:display are extended by plain-number and
plain-number-and-name:

<define name="text-index-entry-chapter-attrs">
     <optional>
         <attribute name="text:display" a:defaultValue="number">
             <choice>
                 <value>name</value>
                 <value>number</value>
                 <value>number-and-name</value>
                 <value>plain-number</value>
                 <value>plain-number-and-name</value>
             </choice>
         </attribute>
     </optional>
</define>

Attribute text:outline-level is added to <text:index-entry-chapter>:

<define name="text-index-entry-chapter-attrs">
     <optional>
         <attribute name="text:outline-level">
             <ref name="positiveInteger"/>
         </attribute>
     </optional>
</define>

If attribute text:outline-level is missing, it's assumed that it equals
the outline level, at which the source of the entry occurs in the text
document, as it's interpreted now.

I also propose to add the chapter information element
<text:entry-index-chapter> in the indexes of Illustrations, Tables and
Objects.

The main purpose of this proposal is to be able to create index entries
like the following ones:

- index entry of table of contents:

A.3.2 Heading 3.............................A-3

The plain chapter number of heading on outline level 1 is inserted in
front of the page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

- index entry of index of tables:

Table 1: Fruit numbers....................A.3-3

The number of heading on outline level 2 is inserted in front of the
page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

- index entry of an alphabetical index for chapter A:

OpenDocument................................A-3

The plain number of heading on outline level 1 is inserted in front of
the page number, separated by a manual inserted dash.

I patched a version of OpenOffice.org to prepare an ODF document
which shows how such indexes should look like.

Can such document be sent to this mail list as an attachment?

--
Kind Regards,
Giuseppe Castagno

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org