Subject: Re: [office] renewed proposal for new position and space attributesfor the list level

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2007 12:08, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer -
> Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> Do you know understand my intention, why I want to have the possibility
>> to specify the indent attributes at the list level definitions of a list
>> style?
>
> I understand. I just don't agree with it.
> Its based on the incorrect assumption that the layout of a list should be
> decoupled from a paragraph style.
This is correct assumption - a paragraph style isn't needed to define
the layout of a list.
Please refer to the ODF specification part, where it is said that a list
style has to be coupled with a paragraph style.

> Its also based on the incorrect assumption that a list-style should describe
> more then one list.  There is no need, and from a users perspective I've
> found that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.
I didn't say something about specifying more than one list with one list
style.
I'm talking about specifying with one list style the list level styles
of the first 10 list levels.

> And I think you just proved my point; a liststyle with a random number of
> list-levels being defined (you have to admit 10 is a pretty randomly chosen
> number) brings a lot of inconsistencies.
I strongly - very very strongly - disagree.

> I have no problem with OOo working with that combination of list-levels, but I
> believe that if you have a problem with the inconsistency that this gives you
> should fix it in OOo, not in ODF.  The inconsistency here is that while
> list-styles can hold 10 levels, paragraph-styles can't.
About what inconsistencies in OpenOffice.org you're talking about? I
didn't know any.

> What about making using the existing behavior of style-inheritance to
> alleviate your concerns?
What kind of style inheritance you want to introduce for list styles?

Regards, Oliver.