Subject: list-override proposal

Here is my proposal for the list-override enhancement.

It should also cover all use cases us the "list-id" proposal, so (in my opinion :-)) there is no need for a list-id. In fact I discourage the use of "list-ids" because:
* No backward compatibility: A reader which does not understand the text:list-style-override will still be able to correctly number all paragraphs. The only difference would be a different formatting. For example instead of 1. ii. 3. an old reader would generate 1. 2. 3..
* Using a list-id approach would cause a serious backward compatibility break, since the reader would no longer be able to correctly generate the numbering.
The association of list styles with a “counter domain” is usually sufficient. By using a style-override the style of the number formatting can be changed. Splitting this relationship between a list style and a “counter domain” would cause unneeded redundancy, since in the “normal” case the list-id and the style-name had to be emitted.
* By introducing a list-id the transformation between text:lists and text:numbered-paragraphs can be quite complicated. This would be a burden for the implementation.

I also included some "normative examples" for ODF1.1 lists to avoild from misunderstandings of how lists currently work.

~Florian

numlistpar.odt