Subject: SMIL animation. Accessibility.

SMIL 2.0 at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20050107/layout.html
specifies a layout principle, such that a display area may be divided into
n media presentations each in its own region.

 Thus in SMIL, I can present an animation, say moving
graphics or a video, and in another area I can present an alternate media
which is accessible  where the animation isn't. This might be audio or text
as equivalents for the animated graphic. The principle is to avoid excluding
those readers unable to access the animation.

In ODF there appears to be no equivalent to SMIL regions.

The animation in section 13 seems to have taken only the animation aspects of
SMIL.

I would like to request that either the regions idea of SMIL 2.0 be
introduced, or
an equivalent mechanism added to aid accessibility.
I would prefer the designers to propose details, but the principles should be
accepted that any animation should prompt the document author to enter
an alternate in another modality; the simplest being a text description.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.