Subject: Re: [office] Tables of content. Feature request.

On 20/03/07, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler@dwheeler.com> wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, I suspect that this is NOT a limitation of the OpenDocument format.  I haven't examined this in depth, but I believe that you can do what you're requesting with the existing OpenDocument format.  Your request APPEARS to me to be a specific feature request for a specific implementation (I'm guessing you mean OpenOffice.org).

No, the request is for ODF.

> On the other hand, if you want to modify the OpenDocument specification to specifically REQUIRE that every heading include a unique id, and/or modify the specification to say that generated toc's SHOULD link to their bodies, then this is the group to do it in.  Is that what you meant by your email?
>
> I'm sorry, I'm just not sure what you intended by your email.

Internal cross references in XML have long used id/idref.
For whatever reason this feature is missing from the ODF XML.

This is a request for such a feature. Since toc's are a classic use,
I'm requesting it on headings as used in auto toc generation.
A more general request would be to provide id/idref pairs for all x-refs,
overridden by any user added id values. If that is seen as more useful
then please consider that.

I care about XML on disk for long term usage, not todays implementations.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.