Subject: Re: [office] comparing requirements againstThomas'/David's/Oliver'sproposal

Hi Florian,

please see my comments and questions inline.

Regards, Oliver.

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> === wrt. to questions regarding F1 ===
>
> We're talking about b).
>
>> What is with a). Is my assumption correct that you believe this
>> requirement is met?
>
>> What is the case for an ODF 1.2 document that does not use the new the
>> text:continue-list attribute, but only attributes that ODF 1.1 actually
>> supports? Will it be displayed correctly in your opinion?
>
> This is very hard to state, since everytime I came up with an example I was told that ODF1.0/ODF1.1 isn't clear about
> this. This is where my F2 requirement comes from.
>
> So when I understood correctly you once summarized in a TC meeting that numbered-paragraph are not specified and that
> text:list are not specified when they are split.
>
> So you concluded that F1) is never an issue for numbered-paragraphs, since they where not specified at all.
> You also conluded that F1) is never an issue for text:list, since they also have specification holes.

I didn't know any "specification holes" for text:list in the ODF1.1. I
think there is some stuff that can be stated clearer, but I didn't see
any of these "holes"
Can you please name the "holes", which exist in your view of the ODF1.1?

> Regarding your question:
>> Will it be displayed correctly in your opinion?
>
> No. It won't be displayed correctly in my opinion. However that would mean arguing about what ODF1.0/ODF1.1 actually
> meant. We decided not to do this.
> So the revised answer is: I have no idea, since it is totally unclear to me what ODF!.0/ODF1.1 says. The only thing I
> can do  is to look at applications and their interpretations. But that's req F2.
>
> === wrt. to questions regarding F4 ===
>
>> So, can you please explain to me why you think a screen reader would come to a different result.
>
> I guess the OOo screen reader will read whats displayed and thus the statement "it looks the same" is true. However
> readers which are not build upon the layout will come to a different result.
> The concern came into my mind when reading the HTML spec. There is a sample regarding tables and screen reader and the
> screen reader here clearly operated on the XML structure.
>
> Basically (F4) goes far beyond screen readers. It demands that there is exactly one list concept in ODF. Which means
> that applications must not implement two different list concepts. And the list representations should be mapable 100%.
>
> Patrick for example was so kind to summarize this for me:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200703/msg00223.html.
>
> So when rethinking the while ODF1.2 lists this is a very fundamental requirement for me.
>
> The are two ways to look at it:
> a) The lists share the same concept but have different rpresentations.
> b) The lists have different concepts but are somehow convertable into each other.
>
> I guess this is a TC decision, whether the TC want's a) or b).
> I clearly want a), but there other TC members see b) as sufficient.
>
> === wrt. to questions regarding F5 ===
>
>> I have to admit that I don't understand this. Why does it make a
>> difference whether the start value is specified by the list style or the
>> item itself.
> Right. With Olivers proposal there are two ways to chance the counter of a list:
> a) using the start value specified by the list style
> b) using the start value specified by the list item

In my view these two ways already exist in the ODF1.1 specification. As
I tried to illustrate in my previous post - see
http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200703/msg00306.html

> As a matter of fact a) causes problems wrt to my req F5. So I demand that we specify that we only offer b) to change the
> start value in ODF1.2.

Can you please name these problems?