Subject: Re: [office] Concerning backwards compatibility in odf 1.2

Hi Lars,

You right to draw a distinction between application compatibility versus document compatibility.

The four basic questions I have in mind are:

   1. Are documents that are conformant according to the ODF 1.0 or ODF 1.1 specifications also conformant according to the ODF 1.2 specification?  If not, what are the exceptions?

I'd like to hope that the list of exceptions is small.  Whenever possible we should try to introduce compatible changes.

   2. Are documents that are conformant to the ODF 1.2 specification also conformant to the ODF 1.0 or ODF 1.1 specifications?   If not, what are the exceptions?

This will be less likely to be true.  Whenever we add a new mandatory element or attribute, or expand the allowed range of attribute values, we are losing this level of compatibility.

   3. Can an application that is written to the ODF 1.2 specification able to also load ODF 1.0 and ODF 1.1 documents?  If not, what are the exceptions?

In other words, if someone sits down next year with the ODF 1.2 standard, and writes an application using just the info in that specification, will their code be able to also read legacy ODF documents?  I'd like to be able to preserve this.  So we should not remove anything from the ODF specification.  We can deprecate and provide alternatives.  But we probably should try to keep the ODF specification in a comprehensive state, so it has all information needed to implement the current, and previous versions of ODF.

   4. Can an application that is written to the ODF 1.0 specification also load ODF 1.2 documents?  If not, what are the exceptions?

This is a question about degrading gracefully.  This will not work in the general case.  For example, an ODF 1.2 document would be using the standard ODF 1.2 OpenFormula spreadsheet formulas.  But no ODF 1.0 editor understands these.

So I'd emphasize the documentation aspect of this.  We can break backwards compatibility where necessary, but we should carefully document each instances where we do this, as an aid to implementors.

-Rob