Subject: Re: [office] Formula: test cases

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:31 AM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> The problem is that formulas are rather different beasts from many
>> other specifications; either you get the "right answer" or you
>> don't.  Many protocols and APIs can be very flexible, allowing a
>> variety of inputs and outputs.  Page layouts can vary.  But  formulas
>> get one bite at the apple: Given a specific input, they  MUST produce
>> a specific output.
>

> This seems like a reasonable point, and the crux of the matter.

Well, a reasonable point but not really the crux of the matter.

David and I don't disagree that given specific input that an application
must produce a specific output.

Where we disagree is how to specify the for the application what it must
output for a specific input. Quite a different question.

Well, and we disagree on where test cases, admittedly useful things,
should be placed.

So, really two questions:

1. How to specify behavior of an application given a defined input, and

2. If test cases are supplied, where do they go?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> Bruce

Patrick@Durusau.net
Member, Text Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005