Subject: OpenDocument TC coordination call minutes 2007-03-26

*Roll Call
Robert Weir, IBM
Helen Yue, IBM
David Faure, KDE
Florian Reueter, Novell
Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
Lars Oppermann, Sun Microsystems
Oliver Wittmann, Sun Microsystems
Gary Edwards, OpenDocument Foundation
David A. Wheeler, OpenDocument Foundation

Michael: In October we said to start internal spec reviews by end of
March. This does seem possible right now because of the ongoing discussion

DavidW: I hoped that we would be further along with the formula spec. So
far, all the pieces are there, but there remain editorial work to be
done. I think it will be wiser however (although there are known issues)
to take the document to a wider review and fix up things as we go
Michael: I think this does make a lot of sense...

Michael: concerning metadata, the SC expect to finish their draft around
Easter.
... A11Y won't become a full part of the specification but rather a
supplement, so there is not a tight time-line there

Michael: we might be able to have the vote in committee draft vote in May.

Michael: concerning schema, comment says that we only allow integer
values in paths where SVG allows floating point numbers. We currently
provide a regex for the data-type. writing up regexps for floating points
is rather tedious...
... will post problematic parts from the spec to this list, Everyone
should take a look and think about better mappings for our relaxng schema

* right angled axes
- no objections

* calculation settings
- no objections

* database front-end
Michael: proposal was enhanced and modified by developers and was
resubmitted to us as a consensus between implementors.
- no objections

* new proposals...
if there are questions, please discuss on the mailing list, so that we
may vote on those next week

* lists...
Michael: Thomas suggested to ask Florian for specific statements about
concerns about current proposal until Tuesday and than vote next week.
What do others think...
Florian: It would help to have a statement from the TC about my
requirements and their relevance. I cannot meet the deadline that Thomas
proposed. Especially with regards to borrowing from other specifications
Michael: I think that Thomas was more asking for specific issues that
you take with the current proposal
Florian: it simply does not meet my requirements, which for Oliver and
Thomas are not of relevance. So I think a statement from the TC
regarding the validity/relevance of those requirements might help here
shorten the discussion
Michael: I think that there were different conclusions regarding whether
  proposals meet requirements
Rob: I think there is no agreement on the interpretation of the
requirements right now.
Florian: true, this is mostly regarding my requirement, that lists in
1.2 document should work in old applications
Rob: it would be wise to have a statement of principle regarding the
compatibility criteria.
Lars: so how do we arrive at such a statement
Rob: I could come up with a draft which we might work on on the lift
Michael: how to proceed
.. continue evaluation of proposals with regards to requirements and try
to come to common understanding...
... continue work on a single proposal since some don't believe that a
consensus between the current two proposals is possible
Florian: what can I provide?
Michael: Thomas asked for specific examples on where you disagree with
their proposal
Florian: I think the disagreement is on the requirements level.
... But if there is a majority for one proposal, I don't want to hold up
any democratic process.
[...]
summary: We will discuss which of the requirements from Florian are
actually
relevant to the TC.

--
Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>               Sun Microsystems
Software Engineer                                         Nagelsweg 55