Subject: [proposal] text clarification for widows.

Hello TC.

In ODF 1.1 I read; (parag 15.5.9 Widows)

"Use the fo:widows property to specify the minimum number of lines allowed
at the top of a page to avoid paragraph widows."

From wikipedia:
"In typesetting, a widow occurs when the majority of a paragraph appears
on one page with the last line of that paragraph flowing to the top of
the following page. Because the entire paragraph did not fit in its
entirety on one page, its last line of text was forced to "continue on
its own" as a widow on the following page."

I'd like to propose a clarification to that paragraph. I'd like to have
the following text instead;

"Use the fo:widows property to specify the minimum number of lines
required after a pagebreak to avoid paragraph widows when the paragraph
is split."

Changing 'allowed' to 'required' is wanted as the current text makes it
really hard to distinguish between widows and orphans.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widow_(typesetting)
--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature