Subject: RE: [office] How about an interoperability Subcommittee?

Hi Patrick,
That's a pitty not meet you in joint TC meeting at OASIS Symposium.  I
have uploaded the slides and demo for this TC meeting. The main topic is
to realize interop via UOML.
In fact, interop is the main purpose of the charter of proposed TC, it
is at semantic level.  For UOML TC, the main reason to define a
operatiing interface standard is for use of interop, it is at layout
level( http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium/2006/slides/Wang.pdf).
I believe that maping to a different format is not reliable. An unify
operating interface is more feasible and can meet market requirement.
I support to form a new SC within this TC, with the help of Adoption TC
and UOML TC, maybe also including the new proposed TC.

-Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 8:35 PM
To: Charles-H. Schulz
Cc: ALex Wang; robert_weir@us.ibm.com; peter@vandenabeele.com;
office@lists.oasis-open.org; peter.vandenabeele.be@gmail.com

Greetings!

For reasons I detail below I think interoperability is the *next* issue
but I would caution that we need to be mindful of the TC charter rules
in OASIS. I am not sure that any TC actually has a charter that would
cover a "standard" for interoperability. I don't think any of those for
ODF or the UOML charter would cover it.

I suspect that a new TC with both specific and 'future' standards
against which interoperability standards could be specified would be
required. Besides, it would provide a more "neutral" meeting place for
the various format supporters to meet.

It would take a lot of hard work but a TC that is sponsored by *all* the

major format proponents I think would start with a high degree of
credibility in the world of technology. Noting that the issue would be
*mapping* and not sniping about the choices made by any particular
format.

As many of you know, I urged an EU panel back in March to make a mapping

between XML document formats a prerequisite for adoption of any XML
format for office documents a prerequisite for adoption as an ISO
standard. Some of you may not be old enough to remember conversion
software that touted their abilities to convert between literally
hundreds of diverse formats in the "bad old days." I do. We are close to

having XML based archival formats and we should not screw that up by
having data islands with inconsistent mappings between XML based
formats.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

>Dear Alex,
>
>perhaps should we form an Interoperability SC within the UOML TC and
>then coordinate back here? I think that there obviously needs to be
>some technical, specification work to be done at the strict level of
>interoperability, so forming the SC here might be a good choice. Of
>course the Adoption TC needs to be involved as well.
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles-H. Schulz.
>
>ALex Wang a écrit :
>

>>Yes, this proposed TC is aimed to interop at semantic level. In other
>>side, UOML TC is aimed to interop at layout level for visible use.
>>Thanks Peter for introducing IDABC research project. I'd like to hear
>>the future progress of that project.
>>
>>-Alex

Patrick@Durusau.net
Co-Editor, ISO 13250, Topic Maps -- Reference Model Member, Text
Encoding Initiative Board of Directors, 2003-2005