Subject: Re: [office] re: I guess this is goodbye, and good luck

Dear TC members,

I would like to thank all those TC members, that are members of this TC
on behalf of the OpenDocument Foundation, and that have to leave the TC
today for reasons outlined by Scott McGrath, for the valuable
contributions to the TC. I believe I'm speaking here not only on my own
behalf, but also on the behalf of the whole TC. You were very welcome in
the TC, and I enjoyed working with you.

At the same time, I would like to express my hope that many of you may
remain members of this TC, either by joining as individual members, or,
if eligible, the fee waived membership program that Scott mentioned. But
first of all, we should give the OpenDocument Foundation itself the time
they need to prepare itself to the new situation.

Scott McGrath wrote:
> Bruce, all,
>
> First, I share your disappointment that you were not made aware of the
> ongoing dialogue asking the OpenDocument Foundation to comply with OASIS'
> long-standing membership rules.  I've heard from several Foundation
> representatives that you did not have the benefit of knowing of the ongoing
> conversation, so expect an update to my earlier message.
>
> That said; allow me to alert you to another detail that may not be aware
> of-- Our fee-waived membership program.
>
> Your Chair can request a fee waived membership for folks who are making
> necessary contributions and who are not able to fund their membership.  See
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/liaison_policy.php#fee-wavedgrants for
> details.
>
> Please know that all member organizations are expected to be represented by
> only employees.  Knowing that non-profits represent a wide variety of
> constituents who may have an interest in OASIS work--but no qualified
> staff-- we allow them to designate 2 representatives. See
> http://www.oasis-open.org/join/membership_faq.php#a19
>
> You should also consider the benefits your community receives from this and
> other membership rules, besides the ability to participate.  Our membership
> policies are designed to clearly identify who you are collaborating with,
> whose Intellectual Property is being contributed, which members are agreeing
> to the TC Licensing Terms.  No one wants ODF to be tainted by unknown IP
> contributions or claims, the membership policies protect you from that.
>
> I hope that helps,
>
> Scott McGrath
> Senior Director of Member Services
>
> Tel +1 978-667-5115 x202
> Fax +1 978-667-5114
> scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org
>

> Subject: I guess this is goodbye, and good luck
>
>     * From: Bruce D'Arcus <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>
>     * To: office-metadata <office-metadata@lists.oasis-open.org>
>     * Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:44:13 -0400
>
> Hi All,
>
> I just got a note from Scott McGrath, which said in part:
>
>> On 16 May, OASIS member accounts for all non-employee OpenDocument
>> Foundation representatives will be deactivated, with the exception of
>> the Primary Representative, Gary Edwards. A second authorized
>> representative may be designated by written notification from Gary.
>
> Unless some change happens, then, this will be my last day. I will no
> longer be able to participate in the ongoing metadata discussions and
> their final resolution with the TC.
>
> Thankfully that work is almost done and I am happy with the results.
> Should the TC accept them, the contribution they will make to ODF 1.2
> will be profound.
>
> But I think it incredibly unfortunate that this happens now, and
> particularly bad form on OASIS' part to be giving me and other
> Foundation members less than 24 hours notice.
>
> On principle, I am not interested in self-funding my participation
> [...]

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

        D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer