Subject: Re: [office] Recommendation to deprecate the is-subtable attribute

On Thu, 2007-21-06 at 13:12 -0500, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> We have been following the discussion and there is an indication that
> table:is-subtable is used for other purposes. Can the group provide
> some woking examples as we are not aware of problems of it's use
> elsewhere?

Not quite: there is an indication that table:is-subtable _could_ be
useful for other purposes. One example that comes to mind could be
implementation in which the results of array-valued formulas is stored
in a subtable. The cells in such a result are semantically closely
related to each other and so it is easy to imagine an implementation in
which they are stored as a subtable. When presented on screen that
subtable would then be overlayed over the regular spreadsheet table. In
this case the sub numbering of the cells in that subtable would nicely
match the current indexing of the cells in most spreadsheet
implementations.

For example think of LINEST in MS Excel, Gnumeric, OpenOffice, etc.

Andreas
--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta