Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadata proposal

I don't like replying to a post as cynical as yours, its not good for the
conversation as a whole, but I'll add my 2 cents to the below assertion.

On Saturday 30 June 2007 09:25:41 marbux wrote:
> market forces can not produce an ecosystem of ODF documents that are
> portable among all ODF applications. That takes conformance
> requirements and validators.

I have very different experiences. I suggest you look at the concept of
RFC which is what the internet is build on. I am of the opinion over time
all open source software implementing RFCs have grown and many, if not
most, support a big enough chunk of those specs that, indeed, there IS an
ecosystem.  And a pretty darn successfull one.
Its mostly proprietary apps that don't support the full standard. And the
effect has always been that, indeed, they are not very interoperable and
the more compliant ones take over the market.

I have a very good track record to point to on a worldwide scale, and it
disagrees with your assertion above.

At the same time, I am hoping there will be move people that will spent
time working on the ODF testsuite.  Its very important for the consumer
to see which applications support ODF the best, but we (always) need more
people writing good tests.
--
Thomas Zander

PGP signature