Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadata proposal

On 6/30/07, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think saying "let the market decide" is an adequate answer. We
need to have real answers for these questions, because the future
success of ODF is going to depend on reliable document exchange among
disparate applications, with disparate feature sets.

+1

I'll add that procurement officials want to be able in their software procurement tenders to specify that bidders supply software that is conformant with Standard X and fully supports that standard, rather than having to write very detailed specifications of precisely what features they want supported in the software they acquire. A good example from the IDABC conference earlier this year where government IT reps from 20 European nations achieved consensus on what they want in Open Document Exchange Formats:

 No incomplete implementations, no proprietary extensions

 Conformance testing and document validation possibilities
  are needed -> in order to facilitate mapping / conversion;

< http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=27956> (PDF, slide 7).

So I'll say again that the market has spoken and it wants conformance requirements.