Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadataproposal

Hi Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:
>
>> The accessibility SC also has defined some new features for ODF. They
>> have been added to ODF. They are all optional from the specification
>> point of view, and the specification itself does not say anything how
>> these features are implemented by applications. It only states what
>> information they encode. But the accessibility SC is also working on
>> guidelines for authors and implementors. And these guidelines are
>> exactly the place where it is said how these features should be used
>> in implemented in order to achieve that documents get accessible.
>>
>> So, maybe the solution is to work on such guidelines for metadata, too?
>
> It seems to me the question of preservation for accessibility is the
> same as that for metadata. If an application strips accessibility
> attributes silently, it's the same problem as if they do so with an
> xml:id attribute.

I of cause can't speak for the a11y SC as well, but I believe the reason
the current solutions works for them is because they assume that all
vendors are interested in allowing to create accessible documents with
their applications, and that therefore no application will silently
remove the a11y information. And if it would, the resulting document
wouldn't be accessible.

As for metadata: Metadata are cool feature, and the SC has created a
very good specification. I therefore believe that vendors are really
interested in implementing that part of the specification. So, I don't
think that we in practice really have an issue.

> Therefore, while I can't speak for the accessibility group, I tend to
> believe that dealing with this issue piecemeal is rather inadequate. It
> should be done in a general conformance section.

In my mail I have provided some concerns regarding formal conformance
rules that are related to editing documents. Do you think these concerns
are justified?

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer