Subject: Re: [office] Re: [office-metadata] Suggested Changes on the Metadataproposal

I'll try to give an example from the HTTP spec:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

In 14.15 Content-MD5 it is stated that servers MAY generate the
Content-MD5 header field. (and that proxies obviously MUST NOT generate
it). It further states that "[a]ny recipient of the entity- body,
including gateways and proxies, MAY check that the digest value in this
header field matches that of the entity-body as received."

Consequently the client is not under any obligation to do anything with
this field. Whether it emits a warning if the check fails or whether it
implements such a check at all is up to the discretion of the client's
implementor.

Thus, as Rob already stated, the specification informs the client
implementor that a conforming server might send such a header. Whether
he decides to act upon the information contained in the header has no
impact on the actual conformance of that implementation.

/Lars

--
Sun Microsystems                Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer