Subject: OpenDocument TC coordination call minutes 2007-07-23

*Rollcall

Yue Ma, IBM
Helen Yue, IBM
Patrick Durusau
Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
Lars Oppermann, Sun Microsystems
Eike Rathke, Sun Microsystems
Oliver-Reiner Wittmann, Sun Microsystems
Florian Reuter, Novell (joined 14:45GMT)

 From A11Y SC:
Stephen Noble, Design Science,
Chieko Asakawa, IBM
Hironobu Takagi, IBM
David Pawson, Royal National Institute for the Blind*
Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems

* Minutes from last coordination call
no objections

* Action Items
none pending

* Discussion
A11Y guideline document
PeterK:
set of guidelines
what to do what not to do
aspects of 1.1 spec that are important from A11Y point of view
success or failure of A11Y is up to applications
main audience are implementors of spec
attempted to follow tc format for documents
interest in the document becoming part of the specification
question to TC -> did we do everything correctly for that

Michael:
everything seems correct
how to bundle with 1.1
suggest to approve doc as TC deliverable next to 1.1 spec
peter: important that everyone implementing the 1.1 spec finds the
document easily
Michael: linking to it from TC pages as well as OO.org
PeterK: all the authors of the specific section s are here and can answer
specific questions about the content

Patrick: even though doc is specific 1.1., it would be applicable to
subsequent revisions. So the advice would carry through to further revisions
Peter: absolutly. We could also do an updated version for the 1.2
document bundle
Patrick: that's what I was getting it
maybe some things need top be adapted
but in principle this should work

PeterK: absolutely
DavidP: could it become an appendix to the main document, I mean in terms
of size

Patrick: size is not such a problem. ISO standards don't include
implementation advice. A technical report can.
It is possible to have an annex (as we call it in ISO)
A technical report on its own may however make more sense and be even
more visible
Status of a TR would be independent of main specification
David P.: my personal preference would be to have it as a part of 1.2
Peter: are there any other views as to what is the most
visible/appropriate way to publish this document.
Michael: for 1.1 we should accept it as a formal TC deliverable
when we standardize 1.2 we should add the document to the submitted
material...
PeterK: I think, A11Y guidelines will become more important for
standards bodies. Thus having it as an appendix would be very good

Normative/non-normative annexes

profiles standardized by oasis (w & w/o A11Y)

PeterK: profile sounds like an interesting idea w/ regards to US sec.
508. relating to content. a) content, b) content authoring tools

DaveP: from an informative annex it wouldn't be too difficult to derive
a normative section/annex that describes the human interface to an ODF
document

Michael:
conformance profiles
important future topic
for 1.1, vote on document and then publish it on TC page
for 1.2, update the document with regards to changes in 1.2 and then
either use it as an appendix or as a supplemental document

Lars: A11Y guidelines should be part of the material that is considered
in public review

Summary
- format correct
- information useful
- desire is to place document on TC main web-page
Action: Michael to check to put it on oasis specification list page
- submit the document with 1.2
... not yet clear whether annex, part or TR
- for 1.3 we may consider profiles, esp. A11Y profiles

Peter: send editorial comments to me

Action: Michael: find out how to find out the URL under which a document
will appear.

Florian: what about subtables

A11Y SC is looking for better examples for subtables

Florian: define next-master-page-style in a master-page - might be an
A11Y issue
Peter: please send to A11Y TC

--
Sun Microsystems                Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer