Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for modification of preview image description

Thomas,

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2007 17:11:30 Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 -
> Hamburg wrote:

<snip>
>> "Thumbnails *shall* be saved in the PNG format."
>>

> Can you explain why this is a problem?  128x128 and all other specs seem
> to be a pretty high-res allowing you to downscale as required.
>
> Furthermore; it seems highly inappropriate to alter the preview size based
> on the operating system of the users preference. Which is what I gather
> you meant with your suggestion.  If not, I'm not sure why there is any
> reason to make the rules any more flexible.

What about altering preview size based on user preference? Instead of
their operating system. Would that be "highly inappropriate"?

While I think we should mandate PNG format (for interoperability
reasons) I don't think the other requirements are necessary.

I was reminded of user preferences today while trying to proof a
proposal where the editor to save paper had set the type to 10 pt. It is
a good thing I am not trying to read it outside because my magnifying
glass would have set it on fire by this point. The copy I got was image
only so increasing the size is problematic.

So, I think Michael's suggestion is a good one.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)