Subject: Re: [office] Proposal for modification of preview imagedescription

Dear TC,

here a some comments from my colleague Hubert Figuiere who knows more about this then me:

<snip>
The thumbnail size shouldn't be limited by the spec, because it does not
make sense to do so.
On the other hand, the file format MUST be PNG. (MUST is stronger that
SHALL, isn't it?)
Ideally the spec could state that the recommended size is, for now, to
be enclosed in a 256x256 rectangle (document pages are not square) in
order to allow down-scaling the original thumbnail, but the size is to
be implementation specific and thumbnailer should NOT depend on it. This
would allow increasing the default size without changing the spec. I
don't see why we would need alpha transparency.

Below is a link to the thumbnail spec which give a good idea of what is
going on on the freedesktop.org side:
 http://jens.triq.net/thumbnail-spec/index.html
IMHO this spec should be used as a guide.

Hub
</snip>

Best regards,

~Florian

>>> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM> 07/31/07 5:11 PM >>>
Hi,

the package part of the specification describes how preview images have
to be saved. It says:

"Thumbnails must be saved as 24bit, non-interlaced PNG image with full
alpha transparency. The required size for the thumbnails is 128x128 pixel."

Well, the limitation to 128x128 pixels seems not to be appropriate,
because different operating system use different preview image sizes. I
suggest that we remove the other limitations as well. That is, I propose
that we simply state:

"Thumbnails *shall* be saved in the PNG format."

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten