Subject: Re: [office] OpenDocument v1.2 draft 5

Hi Dave,

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 23/08/07, Michael Brauer <Michael.Brauer@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> However, simply changing the name would have the impact that this
>> feature would not be understood by ODF 1.1 applications any more, and
>> that the ODF 1.2 specification would not define what the meaning of this
>> attribute is for ODF 1.1 documents.
>
> Is there a general ODF policy on backwards compatibility please Michael?

Not sure if I would call it a policy, but we have the following guidelines:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200610/msg00042.html

> So if we change the name, we may
>> want to introduce a new attribute actually, and may want to deprecate
>> the old one, both having the same semantic. This does not solve the
>> backward compatibility issue, but it at least makes sure that an ODF 1.2
>> application still understands 1.1 files.
>>
>> However, before we discuss whether we want to take into account the
>> above implications for having a different, maybe in fact better,
>> attribute name, I think it would be reasonable to know what the new name
>> would be. Do you (or someone else) has a suggestion for this?
>
> The semantics are to suppress heading numbering?
>
> Suggest an attribute name supressNumbering, which takes
> two fixed values?
> This to be applied to the element representing the header.

Thanks.

To be in alignment with the naming schema for other attributes it
probably would have to be text:suppress-numbering.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten