Subject: Re: [office] Default values

I called in late yesterday. I also admitted that it is not the best solution to define default values from the RELAX-NG perspective, but the problem is still valid. Even if the standard does not define it, the ODF applications actually will have default settings in its implementation logic. Default values do not disappear even if we do no define it.

As to the styles inheritance, I do not think that it will necessarily be a problem. Default value is only valid when there is no value defined, which could include the attributes inherited from parent styles.

Best Regards,
Helen Yue(Zhi Yu)

From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>
To: office TC <office@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 09/24/2007 11:38 PM
Subject: [office] Default values

Greetings!

One quick comment on the "default" values in the RELAX-NG schema.

While Michael is correct about the status of those "default" values from
a RELAX-NG perspective, to what degree are those values normative for an
implementation of ODF?

In other words, if the default value of table:print is "true," is a
conforming ODF application required to print all tables?

That is to say that the ODF standard requires the treatment of that
attribute as though it has a "true" value. That is it is unnecessary for
an application to parse the schema as we have declared in the ODF
standard the default value for that attribute.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Acting Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, OpenDocument Format (OASIS, ISO/IEC 26300)